Economic news

Lululemon Talks with Founder Collapse over High Demands

NEW YORK, May 18 (Reuters) - Lululemon Athletica sought to settle its bitter proxy fight with ​Chip Wilson as recently as last week but ‌baulked at what it said were escalating demands from its founder, the athletic apparel company said in a ​regulatory filing on Monday.

The company said it ​had delayed filing its definitive proxy statement ⁠in the hope of reaching a settlement ​with Wilson, who had issued counter-proposals to its term ​sheet last week.

But the company said the counterproposal was "a significant departure from what had been discussed". Wilson wanted the ​appointment of three directors chosen by him, ​including the immediate appointment of two of his nominees and ‌a ⁠third from a pool he selected.

Wilson also asked for quarterly meetings with the company's new CEO.

A representative for Wilson was not immediately available for comment.

Wilson, ​who founded Lululemon ​in 1998 ⁠and left the board in 2015, has criticised the company for having ​lost its "cool" factor and is trying ​to ⁠persuade investors to elect three newcomers to the board at the annual meeting next month.

Lululemon has appointed ⁠two ​new directors in recent months ​and announced the hiring of ex-Nike executive Heidi O'Neill as ​its new CEO.

Reporting by Svea Herbst-Bayliss Editing by David Goodman

Source: Reuters


To leave a comment you must or Join us


More news


Back to economic news list

By visiting our website and services, you agree to the conditions of use of cookies. Learn more
I agree